How can you get started at CorrelAid?
Basically, there are three ways to get involved at CorrelAid. We talk through them in this short document.
Our data4good projects are probably the main reason why you are thinking about joining CorrelAid. You want to use your skills for the social good? Excellent, you've come to the right place, we've done over 60 projects so far and are constantly talking to new organizations to organize more projects.
It is important to understand that at CorrelAid, there's no fixed pool of data analysts who have prioritized access to the projects: There's no secret club of CorrelAid data scientists who exclusively get to work on our data4good projects. Instead, applications are collected on a per-project basis. Project call for applications are sent out to our newsletter email list and you can then apply for a specific project that you consider interesting.
So the only thing you need to do to join a CorrelAid data4good project is sign up for the newsletter and wait until a cool project comes around! Depending on the month, we start 1-4 projects per month.
If you want to network with other data scientists, consider joining one of our CorrelAidX chapters. While CorrelAid is a remote organisation, we also have local chapters that meet in-person regularly. You can find all local chapters along with contact addresses on our website. If you want to start your own chapter, feel free to reach out to our Community Manager Isabel.
To keep CorrelAid running, we rely on different subteams. From organizing projects and creating educational content to writing grant applications - there is loads to do. Currently there are the following teams:
- project coordination team: the project coordination team coordinates the data4good projects, i.e. they talk to the organization, find out how we can help them and sends out the project call for applications. They usually _do not actively code _for the projects. Relevant Slack channels: #projects, and a private channel you will be added to if you're interested in becoming a project coordinator.
- education team: this team creates educational content and organizes projects that benefit our network members. They also aim to create content for NPOs about data organization and simple data analysis skills. Finally, our Podcast CorrelTalk is produced by members of the education team. Relevant Slack channels: #education, #podcast.
- PR team: from filling our blog to posting on social media to designing stickers and other CorrelAid merch. The PR team is responsible for everything that represents CorrelAid to the outside. Relevant channels: #pr, #pr-team.
- fundraising team: the fundraising team looks out for funding opportunities for CorrelAid, collaborates with other organizations on grant proposals etc. Relevant Slack channels: #fundraising.
- infrastructure team: the infrastructure team takes care of our website, our cloud resources, the CorrelAid Slackbot, the Google Workspace and the administration of our NextCloud instance CorrelCloud. They also actively develop said tools so if you're a (JS / Python / Frontend) developer, this is the right place to get involved!👩💻👨💻
If you want to be involved in one of the mentioned teams, it's best to do the following: